Sunday, February 5, 2017

Reader's Advisory Secret Shopper summary

This week I spoke with a real life librarian and asked her for a book suggestion. Overall, it was a positive interaction and I really enjoyed talking with the librarian.

Positives:
1. She asked me about what books I had enjoyed before
2. She showed me how to use NoveList, rather than suggesting I just search the catalog.
3. She showed me some areas of the library where new materials are located.
4. She offered to help me should I not find what I was looking for.
5. She was approachable, friendly, and courteous, and seemed to enjoy her job and her interaction with me.

Constructive Criticism:
1. It is not necessarily clear or attractive to the patrons in this library to ask for help in finding a book to read for pleasure. I think this could be advertised better.
2. I would have loved a more personal recommendation from this librarian, but she did not offer one.

I found this on FaceBook and I thought it was an intriguing way to do some indirect reader's advisory work, while encouraging patrons to look for books to enjoy. This is from the Carmel-Clay public library in Carmel, IN (which is not the library I visited for this session).


No comments:

Post a Comment