Monday, March 20, 2017

Fantasy Genre

The Songweaver’s Vow
by Laura Van Arendonk Baugh
Paperback: 302 pages
Publisher: Æclipse Press (February 14, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1631650041
ISBN-13: 978-1631650048


Synopsis
Euthalia finds herself betrayed in the most inhumane of ways by her own father, then arrives in an unfamiliar land promised to a strange husband. Steeped in Norse mythology, this adventure snowballs a series of events that could lead to a disastrous conclusion. Hard to put down, the reader will be eager to find out how Euthalia’s story plays out.


Characteristics consistent with Fantasy (with help from Saricks Reader’s Advisory text)
  1. Detailed Settings that depict another world (in this case, the land of Asgard from Norse mythology)
  2. The storyline features elements of Good vs. Evil
  3. The mood of the book is overall optimistic but melancholy/dark through a lot of the action
  4. Contains mythical creatures and elements of magic
  5. Driven by language and detailed description

Suggested Read-a-likes
The Paper Magician Series by Charlie N. Holmberg
The Thirteenth Tale  by Dianne Setterfield 
Norse Code by Greg Van Eeckhout
The Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan
The Goddess Summoning Series by P.C. Cast




6 comments:

  1. I love Rick Riordan's books about Greek and Roman mythology. I had a bit of a background before reading those, though. Do you need to know much about Norse mythology in order to follow along with this book? What kind of magical creatures does it include? Who is considered evil here? I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew almost nothing about Norse mythology going in and I was still able to follow and enjoy the story. It sounds like you would as well! I picked it up because I know the author but I was not expecting to love it as much as I did. I don't want to give away any of the plot!

      Delete
  2. I've always been interested in Norse Mythology because of the stories of Odin and his son Thor. This book looks really good, and I've always enjoyed a strong and fierce heroine that finds herself in some kind of trouble. It sounds like Euthalia in a fairly unpleasant situation because of her father. I already put this in my amazon wish list. The read-a-likes sound interesting as well. I will have to look into those titles as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will probably love it then. Although Euthalia is a "soft" heroine in a way, she's very brave. When you read it let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a lot of the mythology in Norse lore, so this defiantly catches my attention! I am curious about how the author here portrays Asgard and what kind of situation Euthalia finds herself in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic annotation! Full points!

    ReplyDelete