Monday, September 4, 2017

Non-Fiction for youth review: She Persisted: 13 American Women Who Changed the World by Chelsea Clinton and illustrated by Alexandra Boiger

The phrase "Nevertheless, she persisted" took the culture of American feminism by storm after Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D. Massachusetts) attempted to read a letter by activist and widow of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Coretta Scott King, on the Senate floor in protest of the proposed appointment of Jeff Sessions as Attorney General. After Senator Warren was not allowed to continue with her prepared speech, among controversy, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R.) was quoted as saying, "Senator Warren was giving a lengthy speech. She had appeared to violate the rule. She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted." The phrase has since come to represent the perseverance of women who continued on their intended paths despite strong and sometimes dangerous resistance. 

At a glance: 


  • Age Range: 4 - 8 years
  • Grade Level: Preschool - 3
  • Hardcover: 32 pages
  • Publisher: Philomel Books; First Edition, First Print edition (May 30, 2017)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1524741728
  • ISBN-13: 978-1524741723
  • Lexile Score: NC1170L 

Activist and author Chelsea Clinton presents a carefully chosen, inspiring list of American women who triumphed over adversity to live their dreams. Though the white, female, liberal feminist movement has been accused of a lack of intersectionality. this book addresses that issue with a commitment to diversity. Five of the women included are Caucasian, Five are African-American, one is Latina, and one is Native American. I was glad to see this representation. The premise of the book is a young girl (African-American) walking through a museum learning about important American women in history  Each short vignette gives a description of the heroine's life and accomplishments, including a quote from the woman herself. Alexandra Boiger's lovely illustrations are the perfect complement to the text. Many of the woman are shown as both a young girl and an adult. 

I was utterly charmed by this book. I read it aloud to my 10 and 8 year old daughters, who were enthralled. My 8 year old's favorite page was the Florence Joyner (Flo Jo) page. She said, "WOW! That little girl grew up to be HER! That's amazing!" 



My ten year old daughter said that the most important message in the book was that women can do anything that men can do and that girls shouldn't let anyone talk them out of their dreams. 



I thought this was a fantastic book and I enjoyed reading it to my daughters. I would recommend it as a read aloud and discuss book to other families with daughters. She Persisted should be a fixture in any school library as it promotes the ideals of gender equality, racial equality, and achievement despite adversity. Thank you to Chelsea Clinton for this lovely book, and thank you most of all to all the brave women who inspired it. 





4 comments:

  1. I’ve been coming across this title lately, and it has piqued my interest, so I’m glad you did a review on it.

    Right away, what stood out for me were both your daughters’ comments. I really like how you included their comments, and how they responded to the book. Their comments are like the approval or endorsement of this book. If it holds a child’s interest, then the author has done well.

    I also liked how the author presented each woman both as a young child and adult. I think it helps children to connect more with the book character/s (women, in this case) when they can see them young like themselves.

    Currently, I think the spotlight is on feminism and gender equality. It seems to be one of the main issues right now when it comes to diversity. It has always been around, but I think it is getting more attention now. I’ve been seeing more books being written on this subject, especially nonfiction books for children.

    I think this book would pair well with:
    Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashti Harrison
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of the R.B.G. vs. Inequality by Jonah Winter
    I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark by Debbie Levy
    Women in Science by Rachel Ignotofsky
    Women in Sports by Rachel Ignotofsky

    All of these books focus on women and their power to overcome adversity and/or accomplish great things. I believe some of them would be classified as nonfiction, which is a good way for teachers to include nonfiction material in their curriculum.

    T. Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! I will have to check out those read-a-likes. They sound very interesting.

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    First of all, I am really enjoying the layout of your blog. I love all the photographs you have inserted about the books and when you include your daughters' comments about the books. They are the intended audience, after all.
    About this book, Nevertheless, She Persisted, I was so happy to read it! In March (Women's History Month), I try to create new programming each year based on Women's History. This book will be a great introduction for the younger students (grade 3-4) that I visit. It introduces women from different cultures in a way that is positive, yet succinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you are creating programming especially about Women's History! This is a nice introduction to Women's History for the younger audience!

      Delete