Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I like to MUVE it MUVE it!

Do you hear King Julien from Madagascar rapping? Ok, just me, then. :)

MUVE stands for Multi-User Virtual Environment. Some of these can be games, although we might more specifically call that a MUGE (Multi-User Gaming Environment). Two very popular MUVE examples are Minecraft and Second Life.

Second Life can be used by libraries or other institutions to provide instruction, tutorials or other virtual services. Unfortunately, I found Second Life to be seriously lacking in the accessibility department for those of us with visual disabilities. It was extremely disorienting and difficult for me to visual navigate. I don't have any personal experience with Minecraft, but my friend Maya and her family are fans so I asked her for some thoughts. She said, "I find Minecraft very educational. Creative mode allows my boys to build anything they can imagine, from complex buildings to ornate gardens. It's a great exercise in spatial reasoning. Survival mode is all about strategy, using your resources wisely to stay alive and develop your world." Maya blogs at www.marfmom.com

I have used some multi-user internet games, and one in particular that I think would qualify in the MUGE category and maybe even MUVE is Covet fashion. In this game the user is a stylist for high fashion clients. There are several themes per day with requirements such as item, designer, or color. Votes determine the score and there are prizes of items to build a virtual closet or "diamonds" which allow you to buy tickets to enter more contests. Users can join virtual fashion houses where the players can chat and give advice on different looks. I enjoy playing around with looks I would never wear or be able to afford in real life.

What about you? Do you enjoy using a particular MUGE or MUVE? I'd love your thoughts, and it would be especially great to hear from someone who enjoys Second Life. Weigh in in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. OMG, you play Covet Fashion???? So do I! I love playing it, it's actually a great stress reliever at the end of a long day. Add me as a friend if you like - graciemel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just realized I don't know how to add friends... I am GreenIris81. If you can figure out how to add people, let me know!

      Delete
  2. Thar is awesome!! I will add you! I don't know anyone else who plays it. My daughter found it and I am totally addicted!

    ReplyDelete