Sunday, October 11, 2015

Social Networking

There seem to be almost endless ways for us to connect with one another on the internet. I'm a part of the generation that came before the digital natives, the generation where many of us know what life was like before the internet, and embrace the ease and speed with which we can communicate and work now that we have widespread use of the World Wide Web. I got my first email address at age eighteen, a senior in high school. I remember trading email addresses in English class with my friends who already had them. My first email address was through Juno. Anyone remember Juno?

The next social platform I discovered was AIM, the Instant Messaging program from AOL. Wow, was this life changing! As someone with a fair amount of anxiety surrounding the telephone, this was world expanding software, that gave even the introverted a way to begin to branch out socially. It was less stressful to send someone an instant message knowing the person was online and available, and didn't have to respond if he or she was busy. You could add friends of friends to your contact list and meet new people that way. Many hours of my undergraduate career were spent composing the perfect AIM away message or having long, late night conversations with good friends or new friends at the computer.

As a young adult who felt so comfortable communicating via keyboard, it seemed natural to create a profile on one of the growing number of dating sites becoming available. I met several dates and significant others that way, including the one who was to become my spouse. In the early days of our marriage it felt almost embarrassing to admit the way our relationship had begun. In contrast, today, many people we encounter can say, "us too!"

It wasn't until after college as a young newlywed that I created a MySpace account. I was by then well past the age of the target audience, but never liking to be left out, I joined to see what all the fuss was about. It was fun to be able to share pictures and statuses, and it was like an instant address book that made it so easy to contact friends even if you didn't have their email address or phone number. I logged in to MySpace maybe once per day.

At that time, another popular form of social networking was the message board. When we were expecting our firstborn, I was very active on a message board for expectant parents.

A year or so later, a close friend who was living abroad got married. I was unable to attend, and he posted his pictures on Facebook. My brother had mentioned Facebook before because he had attended one of the Universities that was part of the pilot program. I was a college graduate, married, and a parent by then. Was this social networking thing for me? I wasn't sure, but I did want to see my friend's wedding pictures. The rest, so they say is history. It is hard to believe now how large a part of my life Facebook has become. Users can easily and instantly connect with others with their same interests, ailments, locations, and occupations. We can follow pages of products or establishments we like, and follow the pages of celebrities who entertain us. I have met people all over the world with whom I have formed close and lasting friendships. I have also been able to strengthen, rekindle, and deepen friendships and connections I have made offline. Facebook is running nearly constantly when I am on my laptop, my dear friends always a tab away. Since then, I have also joined Twitter and LinkedIn, though Facebook remains my social network home base.

I've only briefly scratched the surface of the impact social media and social networking have had in my life. The internet has overhauled the way we make and maintain relationships. What has been your experience? How has social networking impacted your life, personally and professionally? What is your favorite social network? How does your personality type (introvert vs. extrovert for example) affect the role of social media in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment